The purpose of this site is to share results of a trading system that I use for identifying both long-term and short-term trading opportunities. I take the time to do this because of my passion for investing and helping others succeed. The system helped me avoid the "Crash of 2007/2008" and every major correction since then. The cornerstone of my trading system are analyses of market liquidity to gauge longer-term market sentiment and equity and index options (put/call ratios) to identify short-term entry and exits.

This site is for information purposes only. Past performance of the trading system is not a guarantee of its future success. Please consider consulting a qualified investment adviser before making investment decisions.



Follow to Get Alerts on New Posts

Friday, June 21, 2019

More on RSI divergences and expectations for weakness

As planned, I placed a small, rather inconsequential short trade this morning while the S&P hovered at 2953.  My macro indicator closed out the week at -54.

As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to dip my feet into a short trade because of the negative RSI divergences I've observed.  Specifically, since January of 2018, every peak in the S&P (see green vertical lines in the image below) has corresponded to descending peaks in the RSI (see lower panel) -- this Friday's close and RSI reading was most notable.  For this reason, I expect some weakness in the short-term.

With that said, given the "euphoric" price action, there's nothing preventing the market to break the downward RSI trend.  In fact, if the market trades between 3050 and 3100, a meaningful breakout could occur.  Until that time, as the market makes new highs while creating descending peaks in the RSI, I will add to my short position.  Next week, I will be looking for the possibility of further deterioration in the RSI if the S&P exceeds 2964.15 during the week and closes below 2950.46 on Friday.

Remember, positioning for the long-term takes time -- investing isn't a binary activity.

Have a nice weekend!