The purpose of this site is to share results of a trading system that I use for identifying both long-term and short-term trading opportunities. I take the time to do this because of my passion for investing and helping others succeed. The system helped me avoid the "Crash of 2007/2008" and every major correction since then. The cornerstone of my trading system are analyses of market liquidity to gauge longer-term market sentiment and equity and index options (put/call ratios) to identify short-term entry and exits.

This site is for information purposes only. Past performance of the trading system is not a guarantee of its future success. Please consider consulting a qualified investment adviser before making investment decisions.



Follow to Get Alerts on New Posts

Friday, September 18, 2015

My macro indicator is worrying me - Time to revisit the possibility of a month-end top

As I mentioned in my prior posts, my macro indicator has been showing signs of health and given me no reason to be concerned about a bear market.  Before I get into the details of my most recent analysis, the embedded image depicts data from my macro indicator.  Based on historical backtesting, when the indicator goes below the red line, it signals a possible bear market with the peak in the region from points A to B. This span of time from August 4 to September 30 is a "window" of time that I had mentioned in my posts over the last year as being a possible top if my indicator falls below the red line.

When the indicator bounced off a low at point E and began to trend upwards, I believed that the probability of the aforementioned top and a start of a bear market was low.  The significant decline this week has me worried.  If the indicator falls below the red line in the weeks ahead, there are two ways to interpret this signal: (1) that the market is vulnerable on or abouts September 30 to a bear market, or (2) that a peak will be deferred to the fall of 2016 at point F.  Given the short span of time between points E and F and the fact that the indicator failed to break the peak at point D, I have to place my bet on my first interpretation -- that a bear market could be around the corner.

In regard to my last post in which I shared my plan to buy into this market if it traded down to 1867 or penetrated 1990 to the upside, I did "take some of the bait, but didn't swallow the hook."  Specially, I increased my equity position by only 5% because I couldn't find anything to buy that met my criteria.

Given what I know now about my macro indicator, I believe that it's prudent not to add to my equity position.  In my next post that I plan to publish before Wednesday, I will discuss the bear market scenario, and a plan for what I would do to mitigate risks of a decline.